MISSION - the essence of who we are and what we do:
KWMR is a vital resource for building and sustaining community, standing ready to serve in times of emergency, airing locally relevant information and entertainment to listeners, creating a forum through which every voice can be heard. Our station offers instruction and experience in radio production and broadcasting skills to members of all ages.
Inclusion • We believe that the fabric of our community is
stronger when all of its members have the opportunity to express their
diverse interests, concerns, and points of view.
Empowerment • We believe in providing educational opportunities that enable community members to build new skills and gain valuable experience. We promote an exchange of ideas that enriches people's lives.
Mutual Support • We believe in fostering connections among the people of West Marin in order to strengthen appreciation for the community and support among neighbors. Communication and local self-sufficiency during an emergency are important in a small, remote community.
Independence • We believe it is important that communities take responsibility for understanding the issues that affect them. Locally controlled media have the ability to provide viewpoints and information unavailable elsewhere.
Living in Place • We believe that the West Marin community benefits from ongoing dialogue about our region's environmental, economic, and social issues. Such dialogue develops our understanding of the place where we live and deepens our commitment to sustaining it.
Exchange • We believe that West Marin has much to teach and learn from other communities worldwide. We value the interplay of ideas among people seeking to live in harmony with each other and the Earth.
VISION - image of the desired future state
Our vision for West Marin Community Radio is:
• KWMR will be an important part of our richly diverse community. Our Board of Directors (listed below) will reflect this diversity by its community representation.
• We will ultimately serve all the communities of West Marin, while maintaining appropriate scale and thorough accountability to our local community.
• Our member and listener base will continue to grow and represent a high percentage of people within our listening area.
• KWMR will be considered a permanent part of the West Marin community culture.
• Our radio station will be known for its high-quality, relevant and vibrant programming.
• Our organization will build a strong financial base with a fully supported staff.
• We will be recognized as creators and distributors of high-quality radio programming.
• We will offer a strong educational program, providing instruction and skill development in various aspects of radio broadcasting.
• Our station will be linked to local schools, working with students and teachers to create innovative ways to enrich classroom curriculum with radio.
• We will build and maintain a library and archive of the voices of West Marin, available to all as a reliable community resource.
• KWMR will develop working partnerships with non-profit organizations in West Marin, using radio as a vehicle for enhancing their work.
• KWMR will serve as a model for and will openly share information with other community radio stations.